Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Shelving by the Crate

Last Sunday when I went home, I spent the afternoon hunting through old barns for old crates, or skeletons of crates to use as patch pieces. I was pretty successful. I also got really dirty:


But after a few hours of scrubbing and ripping and hammering with my mom's help, I ended up with a good pile. I stuffed them in my car and drove back to West Virginia at 4:30 on Tuesday morning. The crates were still a bit damp, so my car definitely smelled like an old barn! But, as they dried out, I moved them into my bedroom, and assembled this:


Isn't it cute? I like the rustic look, and I'm able to fit my books on here and keep myself mildly organized. The old canner on the bottom right shelf has a rusted through hole in the bottom, so now it's stuffed full of fabric scraps, for when I feel like making something out of patchwork :)


I think my room is finally settled! I feel like a bit of a nerd today- a good thing, I suppose! I have been finding lots of exciting academic journal articles for my research, which is focusing on home gardening and the impact on children's vegetable intake or something along those lines. Who knew that I would be able to study something that I love so much? Ah, academia. It's a love-hate relationship.

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! And all those years of sitting around in the barn after they were put out of their first job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Roanna! Glad to see you are enjoying life...we miss seeing your face at messiah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the stack of crates! It is a look that makes a room so homey and inviting.

    That canner wasn't the one I gave you, was it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily- can you tell that one of the photos is of our Smantham family? I miss seeing you, and I love seeing the adorable pics of your pup!

    No, Amber- that was another old canner I had :) Yours has been serving me well!!!

    ReplyDelete