Sunday, September 11, 2011

How I Spent my Friday Night

5:00. Laid on my bed for a few minutes to rest after a 4 mile run before an applesauce making extravaganza.

5:30. Brought the first box of apples up to the kitchen and started cutting.



6:00. Another big box of apples to the kitchen. 4 pots simmering on the stove.


7:00. The delicious smell of cooking apples tempted a friend to come join me for the fun. So thankful for her help and delightful conversation! I was planning to do it all by myself, but it is so much more fun to be crazy in the kitchen with a friend :) Still cutting and cooking, but we've started the "saucing" part of the process.


8:30. Still making a mess. Started the first few quarts in the canner.

9:30. Decided that we wanted to make a fresh apple cake. My favorite recipe calls for 5 cups of apples, and it's SOOO moist and delicious. Guess where it comes from? "Simply in Season". Where else do I get my recipes?

10:30. The canner is now empty, the cake has finished baking, and the kitchen is almost completely cleaned up.


15 quarts and 11 pints of applesauce preserved, plus 2 or 3 quarts for fresh eating. Delish.

11:00. Drove my friend home, and went to bed myself. My feet were a bit tired from padding around barefoot in the kitchen, but I am full of contentment, and love the feeling of accomplishment from the evening. This is why I'd rather be in the kitchen than watch a movie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment