Monday, September 19, 2011

Distressing Furniture: Case Study on a Desk

This is a bit of a glance back in time, but during the first week of August, my mom found an old desk by the side of the road. Here's the first photo I have of it, after I took the drawers out to scrub it down.


And you can't have a desk without a chair, right? So I hunted through the barn to find a wooden chair. I came across this:

Completely covered in bird excrement, but this chair has a history. It is a part of my parent's first set of kitchen chairs, purchased at an auction shortly after they were married. It's a solid little piece of furniture, despite the lack of good looks.

Both the desk and the chair were scrubbed down well with Murphy's oil soap, and then brought inside for a paint job. The entire chair and the sides of the desk got a layer of primer and then a quality white furniture paint. I used a dark stain on the top of the desk, and then my mom put a coat of polyurethane on it while I was in Bolivia.


The next step was to simply take a heavy grit of sandpaper (I used 60) along spots on the desk that would typically receive heavy wear. I particularly accentuated the edges on the front of the drawers, and I'm really happy with the way that it turned out.


 I distressed the chair in the same way, and recovered an old pillow with a leftover section of the thrifted sheet that I used to line my curtains and attached some ties to the back for a seat cushion. So maybe the cushion isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, but it works, and it was cheap.




Here's the completed cozy little corner of my room where I do a lot of studying. It doesn't normally look this neat, though, to be honest :)



That was a nice little 20 minute break in my morning of study to blog about this! I'm off to class, then a test this afternoon, with lots of prep for a presentation that I'm giving tomorrow in between.

3 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I'll have to hire you since I despise doing such things... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be back in PA the week before Thanksgiving- if you have any piece you want me to attempt refinishing, I'd be willing to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is on the office chair, that you spend the maximum time at work. Which is why, to avoid back and neck aches, an ergonomic office chair that allows you to sit in a comfortable posture is a must. Best study chair in India

    ReplyDelete