Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Pendant Lamp

This was an idea I got off of "pinterest"- to make a lamp out of old doilies.
In an attempt to be ultra thrifty, I tried to make my own modge podge out of flour. That didn't work out so well. It looked like this:


So, I ended up just thinning down some Elmer's glue.



With my mother's helping hands, I laid the doilies around an inflated balloon. This was slightly stressful, since I was running out of glue the first time I attempted this, and the doilies kept slipping. It took quite a few tries to complete this little art project.



I threw a few stitches on as well, to keep the finicky doilies from slipping. After it had hardened, I popped the balloon and inserted a light bulb.


Since I don't have overhead lighting in my new room, this lamp is nice to hang above my bed. It gives a really cozy glow to my living space.



That made it sounds so easy! My advice if you're going to try this: make sure you have enough glue when you start, and an extra set of hands is always nice.

On another note, my grad classes have started. A computer mapping course- "Geographic Information Systems", "Statistics", and "Nutrition and Disease" will keep me busy on top of my research. I am learning to navigate Morgantown, where to get baskets of apples for sauce, and I'm thankful daily for my incredible roommates.

Today I spent the afternoon making "Swirled Herb Bread", 2 recipes of Whole Wheat Pitas, a leek quiche, zucchini brownies, apple crisp, and roasting peanuts for peanut butter and eggplant for babaganoush! I think I should be set for a few days of eating :)

1 comment: