Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Art of Living Without a Garden

It's a lot harder than I ever expected. I have to actually pay for my vegetables. Now I'm on the other side of the farm stand, and it's kind of strange to be the one choosing what I want to purchase.

I've found 4 farm markets so far in Morgantown, and visited 2 of them in the first week, as well as joining a food coop for my bulk goods. I will probably order my meat through them as well.
Here's a picture of my market finds from Saturday:




And here's what the trunk of my car looked like after a trip to Goodwill, and the local hardware store. I'm going to try my hand at some container gardening on my porch- we'll see how the cost effectiveness of this attempt works out. I'm going to try to keep close tabs on it. (and yes, I hadn't taken enough cloth bags along, so I ended up with plastic bags...)



Here's a picture of my kitchen counter with the dozen sweet corn that I bought by the side of the road. The hardest part of living without a garden is not knowing what to do with compost!

And here's a picture with my favorite "corn chips"- slices of kernels fresh off the cob.

Hopefully there will soon be a picture of the vermiculture system that I'm going to try. Worm farming, here I come!

2 comments:

  1. I love your apron :)

    You'll have to fashion one of those composter/barrel things that you turn every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Zoe- my apron is from my grandmother :)

    ReplyDelete