Sunday, July 31, 2011

How to Make an Ecological Kitchen

I just got back yesterday early AM from a trip to Bolivia. It was a great experience to return to the dear community of Rodeo where I had been last summer as well. Rather than writing a comprehensive review of the trip (which I may post at some point but likely will not, since I am giving an oral presentation at my home church tonight) I will just post random events from the week that I really enjoyed.
If you're wondering what an "ecological kitchen" is, this is a term that Food for the Hungry (FH) uses to refer to a very fuel efficient stove. In addition to saving fuel, this model also features a stove pipe that carries smoke out of the room. Smokey rooms can lead to lung disease, so this is a preventive measure for the health of the children. This stove was advertised to families in the community. Those who wanted it then paid a small amount of money (about $3 US) and helped with the construction of the stove. FH contracted two men to come and build these stoves, which reduce the need for firewood- a scarce commodity in the arid community located at about 12,000 ft above sea level.

The first step involves mixing up "barro"- a mixture of mud, clay, sand, and donkey excrement. I didn't really do much of this, I just helped to mix a wee bit, under the supervision of an expert!



Then, you must make molds for where the pots will be placed.


Next, place the barro around the molds.



Smooth it all down.



Add a chimney, and ta-da: you've got an ecological kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment