Sunday, June 12, 2011

An Urban Farm Girl

I wake up early, eat some breakfast, and walk a few blocks to what used to be an athletic practice field, but is now Harrisburg's urban farm. Passing lots of "For Rent" signs, trash by the street, an empty plastic container gathering rainwater quite unintentionally, a wide side lawn of well manicured ivy. Climbing the steps and shutting the gate behind me, I pause briefly to observe the beauty of growing things. The basil, the peas, okra, each one of these plants has a mission in life: to produce something to be consumed by humans. However, according to Michael Pollan's book "The Botany of Desire", these plants might be a bit more in control than we would tend to assume. He proposes that "They evolve with certain properties that make humans want to propagate them, so they are the ones in charge".


Up in the high tunnel, the tomatoes are looking pretty sweet. Tall, stretching up on our hanging trellis system. I can't wait for the first fresh summer tomatoes. And neither can the farm stand patrons. Tomatoes are that classic homegrown vegetable that just aren't the same purchased at the grocery store.


I love to watch plants develop, blossom, produce fruit. There is something so healing for someone with a tendency towards perfectionism to work with something that I have little control over. God is the one who truly directs the growth and development of these little plants, and all I can do is try to help in the process.

1 comment:

  1. The gardens look great! I love seeing green things being grown in the city. Someday I'd love to help with a project like this!

    ReplyDelete