Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pricing Vegetables

I don't like it. Not one bit. Good food should be priceless- it just doesn't seem right to attach monetary value to a head of lettuce or a bunch of garlic scapes.
But, since I run the farm stand, it's part of my job. I want EVERYONE to eat vegetables, so I want the price to be really low. But at the same time, I know how much work went into growing the produce. There were so many people who were a part of the nurturing process, and it doesn't seem right that the snap peas that we planted, cultivated, trellised, and carefully harvested should be sold for just a few dollars a pint.
It just doesn't seem right. And yet I know that for someone who does their own gardening, that price would seem exorbitant.
A friend asked me earlier this season as we were planting peppers, "Do you find it depressing that produce farmers don't earn very much money, or are you inspired by their commitment to their vocation?" My answer is both. Both saddened, and inspired. There is more than monetary reward in cultivating the ground, but I wish that growing produce was a viable source of income.
For those who complain about high prices at the farm market, please know that there is a good chance that your farmer is earning significantly lower than federal minimum wage if wages are calculate based on an hourly rate.
Pricing aside, there is something beautiful about a full table of vegetables. Here's a peak at Joshua Farm's little roadside stand on 18th street. Very GREEN- I can't wait for a bit more color as the season progresses.


On another note- I'm looking forward to the first cooking class of the season with the youth on Friday. I am still working on the menu for lunch, but I'm excited nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment