Thursday, April 30, 2009

looking forward to long flights?

This was my last week here in East Africa, and it has been a great week, but incredibly bittersweet. I have said good-bye to so many people, first in Kigali and now in Kampala. We had a few debriefing sessions at the beginning of the week, which were difficult for me. It is hard to know what I’ve learned and how I’ve changed. A new reality is going to set in when I arrive back in the States. I’m scared of being bombarded by a consumer oriented, individualistic society. I think I will welcome the dependability of services, such as electricity and running water, but I fear that I may become bored by the constancy after awhile. I enjoyed washing dishes by candle-light last night. I will miss pay-as-you-go cell phones and public transportation. Speaking of transportation, I was amused today by the quiet mirth on the matatu (taxi) when there was no conductor. Because of his missing partner, the driver had to turn off the engine, run around the vehicle, and open the door at every stop. He eventually appointed a young rider to open the door, after she was able to figure out how to work the broken handle.
Will I return here someday? I honestly don’t know. But, I do know that I will always carry a small piece of East Africa within me. My experiences here have been woven into the fabric of my being, and burned upon my heart.
For those of you who will soon welcome me back into my “home” community, I ask for patience and understanding. I want to share with you what I have learned, so feel free to ask me questions. I know that I will struggle with reverse culture shock, but I look forward to being back in Lancaster County. It is hard to believe that next week at this time I will be with my family, and I am incredibly excited. I’m not looking forward to our long journey home, but I look forward to seeing those precious faces that will greet me when I get off of the plane.
Until we meet again,
Roanna

No comments:

Post a Comment