Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lake Kivu

It is incredible how quickly the weeks fly by here in Kigali. This past Monday Kristen, Suzy, and I began teaching English to a group of 20-25 young women at a sewing class. “What do you wear?” “I wear a black skirt” is repeated over and over as we try to instill basic phrases and words in these apt minds. They are so eager to learn and work very hard, despite our clumsy attempts at teaching.
Classes have continued to be thought-provoking and stretching. I am currently part of a group researching the impact that Education had on the carrying out of the Genocide. We also formed groups to prepare for our community research that we will be doing the week after this one. There is never a lack of schoolwork.
Thursday morning’s class was especially helpful to me. The guest speaker, a pastor at the Anglican church where I have been attending, spoke to our group. His faith in God, despite the atrocities that he personally witnessed and escaped from, was incredible. I have found it hard to understand why some people escaped, and others didn’t. He believes that he was saved because God has plans specifically for him. Therefore, he takes this as a personal responsibility to live rightly and be a positive influence in his community.
He even mentioned a question that I have been dealing with for a couple of years. “Why was I born into an affluent society, with a wonderful family to provide for me?” His response: I have a social responsibility to use what I have been given wisely. This is basically the conclusion that I had come to on my own, but for some reason it was just really good to hear it from his mouth.
On Friday after lunch we left for Lake Kivu. It was absolutely gorgeous. We went for a swim Friday night, and hung out talking on the dock for awhile. Saturday morning we swam again, then took a boat ride out to Napoleon’s Island (so named because it is shaped like his hat). This is also the home of hundreds of bats. We clapped loudly and they flew from their resting places in the trees. We climbed up the mountain and watched a hawk swoop at the bats in an attempt at getting his lunch. It was a gorgeous view- and we could see across the lake to the Democratic Republic of Congo. I even got to taste my very first guava, and jump from a tree into the beautifully clear water.
After a delicious lunch of African buffet, 8 of us went out on water skis. It was wonderful- and made me think of all the great memories I have of being out on the lake with my family. In the evening I played two new games- “In the manner of the adverb”, and “Speed Scrabble”. I also played a game of Settlers, which was fantastic even when a crazy thunderstorm came up and started blowing our cards around.
We went to church with Pastor Anastase (one of our professors) this morning, and were serenaded by another downpour of rain. The singing was beautiful, as always, and the service lasted less than the 3 hours that I expected. Anastase did a great job of translating the message, which was about using what is in our hands to serve God.
Our ride home was rather uneventful, except for the smelly bus. Also, I learned that “macadam” is a term known only to people from Lancaster County. Who would guess that the rest of the world has to survive only by using “asphalt” and “pavement”?
I’m preparing myself for a full week of projects and presentations. Pray for a positive attitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment