Saturday, April 11, 2009

He is Risen

There is a future for Rwanda. This past week was the 15th anniversary of the genocide. Despite the sadness, I caught glimpses of hope in various places. A brilliant sunflower nestled in the knee-high grass of a front yard, a double rainbow arching over the well-kept houses in Kigali, the smile on the face of a young woman as she proudly announces that she sewed the dress she is wearing.
I have continued to be energized by teaching English to the girls at PHARP. They have really enjoyed singing “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes”, as well as learning different foods and market terms.
Speed scrabble has continued to monopolize the time that I am not spending on schoolwork. It is really quite an addicting game. I almost spelled “quixotic” one round, but didn’t have quite enough time!
April 7 was the day of remembrance, and there was a large gathering at Amahoro Stadium from noon to midnight. We went around 10:30 pm, and weren’t able to get in because it was full, but we heard some of the beautiful songs, and talked to a few people.
Today was an amazing day! I woke up at 4:30 to go on a SAFARI at Akagera National Park. It was a really neat experience. A lot of driving while sitting on top of a landcruiser with our hair flying in the wind. We saw hippos (and heard them snort), and got within 30 feet of a family of 4 beautiful giraffes. I never realized what majestic and gorgeous creatures they are. We also saw baboons, impala, and wart hogs. It was a gorgeous day, and I am exhausted at the moment.
I’m excited for an Easter Service at the Anglican church tomorrow, so I better go to bed so that I can wake up in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment