Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pallet Garden

I saw the idea on Pinterest a while ago, and slowly began to gather materials.
I found a wooden pallet at a construction site across the street.
I got some landscape fabric from the Joshua Farm when I was back east one weekend.
I intended to staple the fabric around the edges of the pallet and then fill with compost and soil, but then I had the great idea to simply sew it into bags and fill with compost, then slide them into the pallet. So I sewed the bags, and drove to the farm here on campus to pick up some free compost. Alas, there was none, so I had to wait until the next time I drove back east, and I got some from my brother. Here are the bags, ready to slide into the channels. This required some jumping around and flattening, but was feasible.



After I had gotten all the bags in the pallet, I turned it on its edge. I have a black plastic tray underneath (again, compliments of Joshua Farm).


I poked an upside down plastic bottle, with the bottom cut off and holes poked into the sides for a drip irrigation system, into the top of each bag.

And then last night I transplanted my first few babies into the fabric, cutting a slice with a utility knife at each place I wanted to plant. Parsley, garlic chives, lettuce, bok choy, and mint.


We'll see how these things fare when the sun hits them today. I'm a bit nervous. I gave them a good watering last night, and again this morning, just to try to keep things moist.
I have a few other planters that I soon hope to fill- I just need to figure out some drainage issues.
But here's my balcony garden in progress.


And a quick glimpse at my back porch garden- in various states of assembly. The peas look great, I'm just waiting for them to burst forth into bloom. And I hope to start harvesting my first few radishes in a week or so. I'm already enjoying the mint and chives, and of course feasting my eyes on the beauty of the green.

I'm thankful for the little bit of space that I have- I so desperately need an active, nurturing outlet for my creativity!

3 comments:

  1. Looks great, Roanna! I think I want to try the pallet growing. What kind of thread did you use when you sewed it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a regular cotton thread- mismatched colors to use up thread I didn't really want :) And my plants haven't perished yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good Roanna, I saw this technique too online somewhere, and I like your adaptation of creating bags; that should keep the soil in place. I look forward to updates and I hope to try this in Chiang Mai in the summer.

    ReplyDelete