Sunday, May 29, 2011

(Pre) (Re) (Up) Cycling

I was just telling Emily, (author of the excellent blog emilyrosedowney.blogspot.com) that I really like these four terms: "precycle", "recycle", "upcycle", and "cycle".

Precycle: consider the packaging of every product you buy- is there a version or size that you could purchase that would produce less waste? (Ex: don't buy plastic water bottles)

... I interrupt this blog post to say that I was just interrupted by a sweet faced white tailed deer staring at my typing away on my computer. I'm at Messiah's campus right now taking advantage of wireless internet...

Recycle: once you've finished something, rinse out the container, throw the cap away, and put the plastic or glass or aluminum in the recycling bin. It's simple!

Upcycle: be creative- turn something into a great piece of art- how about turning old cd's into jewelry? For lots of great ideas check out- http://toponlineengineeringdegree.com/?page_id=116

And last, but not least-

Cycle- take a bike for a spin, leave your car on the garage. Yesterday I traveled a meager 6 miles, but got to visit my brother's family (leaving with a load of asparagus), dropped off a thank-you note at a neighbor's, visited with 2 women in my community that I respect a lot (building social capital!), and ran into my aunt, uncle, cousin, and cousin-to-be (his fiance). Biking creates more opportunities for building relationships, saves gas, and gives great exercise as well! My parents blessed me with a new-for-me bike with a sweet saddlebag as a graduation present.

I don't have internet very often right now, but look for a future post with a few pictures about being an urban farm girl :)

No comments:

Post a Comment