Saturday, February 5, 2011

You too can make yogurt!

Even though I'm in college, I try not to eat like a college student. Being a nutrition major probably has something to do with that- but I just really value home cooked meals. Living in an apartment this year with a wonderful roommate has given me the opportunity to cook and prepare foods in simple as well as adventurous ways.
Yogurt is a staple in our fridge. We make it ourselves, and it's quite easy. It saves us a lot of money, and gives us the plain, nonfat yogurt that we really like. To enjoy, we simply toss a few frozen berries, granola, or plain rolled oats with it for breakfast. Applesauce mixed with yogurt makes for a delightful dessert as well. Here's how I make yogurt in a college apartment:

1. Pour 1/2 gallon milk into a large pot (preferably one with a thick bottom to minimize scorching)

2. At low-medium heat, bring the milk to 180 degrees farenheit.
3. Add a bit of powdered milk (optional- this makes the yogurt thicker)


4. Allow the milk to cool to 115-120 degrees (you can accelerate the cooling process by filling the sink with cold water and then placing the pot in it).
5. Add about 1/2 cup of already made yogurt. I typically use 1/2 cup from my last batch.
6. Pour into 2 quart jars and twist on a plastic lid.
7. Place in a warm water bath of 115-120 degrees for 2.5-6 or so hours. The longer you let it incubate, the firmer and more sour it will be. You can check the thickness by tilting the jar a bit.



The warm water bath can be in a cooler, or even in the same pot you heated the water in, as long as you add hot water during the incubation period or wrap the pot in a wool blanket. I was lucky enough to come across a foam insulation cube on a run through the neighborhood early in the school year, and it fits 2 quarts perfectly.
Check out the finished product!


It's simple, and saves a lot of money. Try it, and let me know if you have any questions!

1 comment:

  1. Edit to the method here: I now put a tablespoon of plain unflavored gelatin in 1/2 cup of cold milk while I am heating up the rest of the milk. I add this gelatin mixture at the same time I add the powdered milk. An even more fool-proof method!

    ReplyDelete