Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Themes

Often, I choose verse or song or phrase to focus on during various seasons of life: a trip abroad, a year, or some other such experience.

For 2012, the phrase I chose comes from Hebrews 12:2, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus..."

My eyes. These little orbs from which I gain sensory insight into the world around me.

Fixed. Unwavering, steady.

On Jesus. The only one who can save.

A simple phrase, and perhaps a seemingly simple task. But in all reality, it's difficult.

There have been multiple times over the past month where this theme was reinforced, through a sermon at church, a card from a friend, or simply in my own reading.
And, as I was flipping through one of my old journals, I came across these lyrics:

"Before the throne of God above,
I have a strong and perfect plea,
A great high priest whose name is love,
Who ever lives and pleads for me.

My name is graven on His hands
My name is written on His heart
I know that while in heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair,
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there,
Who made an end to all my sin.

Because my sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free
For God the just is satisfied,
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the risen Lamb
My perfect spotless righteousness
The great unchangeable I Am,
The King of Glory and of grace.

One with himself I cannot die
My soul is purchased by His blood
My soul is hid with Christ on high
With Christ my Savior and my God."

~Charitie L. Bancroft, 1863.

Such powerful words. I hope that you are encouraged as you consider the incredible reality of a God who has taken our sins on himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment