Friday, March 20, 2009

New Culture #3

Now I am writing from the Switzerland of Africa: Rwanda. It is such a beautiful country, with green rolling hills and it really does remind me of Switzerland. It’s too bad that they don’t produce chocolate here! Oh well!
I arrived here last Saturday, after an 11 hour bus ride. We are staying at Centre Cristus, a Catholic retreat center. We took a few days to become accustomed to Kigali and rest before a couple day trip. We went to Nyungwe Rainforest and enjoyed a 6 hour hike up and down mountains. It was so gorgeous, and a great way to stretch my legs out after a tempo run the other day with some of the guys (without a warm-up!). I was very impressed by the whole eco-tourism establishment, and enjoyed seeing Rwenzori turacoes. My experienced was definitely enhanced by the excitement of Erik and Molly Lindquist. Erik is a biology professor at Messiah who is helping to set up a GoEd program in the Andes. They were here for the week to see how the program is run here in East Africa. It was great to have a little connection to home, and I received a very sweet care package from my darling roommate Sarah (Thanks for that, Sarah- but there’s more to the story, which you will find out about in a few days…)
Then we stayed overnight in Butare, a fantastic little college town. We had two good games of Settlers of Catan, but sadly I did not win either time! Oh well. It was fun nevertheless.
I am enjoying the semester so much. It is hard to believe that it is going by so fast. Pray that I can constantly be present here, and engage in the culture. I am looking forward to continuing to attend the Anglican Church that I went to last week. I long for some consistency in my church experience! Classes start for real this Monday.
I tried to upload some photos, but it was taking too long- sorry about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment